Newman Guide Colleges Increase ‘Recruit Me’ Scholarship to $20,000
Several faithful Catholic colleges recommended by The Cardinal Newman Society have generously chosen to supplement the Society’s “Recruit Me” scholarship, potentially increasing the amount from $5,000 to $20,000 over four years.
The Newman Society’s annual Essay Scholarship Contest rewards a U.S. high school senior with a one-time $5,000 scholarship toward the cost of attending one of the colleges recommended in The Newman Guide. To be eligible, a student must sign up for Recruit Me, a program that invites Newman Guide colleges to compete for promising candidates.
The topic for the fourth annual Essay Scholarship Contest will be announced in December 2019.
This year, the winner for have the opportunity to be awarded $20,000 over the course of four years. Several of the Newman Guide colleges have agreed to supplement the Newman Society’s scholarship with additional $5,000 grants over three additional years. In order for the scholarship to continue, the student must be enrolled full-time and maintain satisfactory academic progress. Some of the colleges have additional requirements.
The following American colleges have opted to supplement the Newman Society scholarship, should a winning student choose to attend their institution:
- Ave Maria University (Ave Maria, Fla.)
- Belmont Abbey College (Belmont, N.C.)
- Benedictine College (Atchison, Kan.)
- Christendom College (Front Royal, Va.)
- Franciscan University of Steubenville (Steubenville, Ohio)
- Holy Apostles (Cromwell, Conn.)
- John Paul the Great Catholic University (Escondido, Calif.)
- Mount St. Mary’s University (Emmitsburg, Md.)
- Northeast Catholic College (Warner, N.H.)
- The Thomas More College of Liberal Arts (Merrimack, N.H.)
- University of Dallas (Irving, Tex.)
- University of Mary (Bismarck, N.D.)
- University of St. Thomas (Houston, Tex.)
- Wyoming Catholic College (Lander, Wyo.)
In addition, three Newman Guide colleges outside the U.S. have also offered to supplement the scholarship:
- Campion College (Toongabbie East, NSW, Australia)
- Holy Angel University (Angeles City, Philippines)
- Our Lady Seat of Wisdom College (Barry’s Bay, Ontario, Canada)
The Newman Society’s $5,000 scholarship is made possible by the generosity of Joseph and Ann Guiffre, supporters of the Newman Society and faithful Catholic education. Supporters of the participating Newman Guide colleges have generously provided the funds for the supplemental awards.
The Newman Society encourages Catholic families to tell family and friends about the Essay Scholarship Contest and the value of faithful Catholic education. Questions about the Essay Scholarship Contest can be directed to Programs@CardinalNewmanSociety.org.
Copyright © 2019 The Cardinal Newman Society. Permission to reprint without modification to text, with attribution to author and to The Cardinal Newman Society, and (if published online) hyperlinked to the article on the Newman Society’s website. The views expressed herein are those of the author and not necessarily those of The Cardinal Newman Society.